PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Notes For Different Verses?

KenRyan
12-21-2009, 11:15 PM
I have a song with 4 verses displayed on the score using the same sections (verses are stacked). But the emphasis and note duration is different for some verses. Is there a way to put additional notes onto the staff that would apply to only one of the 4 verses? I've seen this done before using notes in parentheses.

Thanks.

Ken

Sherry C
12-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Hi Ken,

I have a song with 4 verses displayed on the score using the same sections (verses are stacked). But the emphasis and note duration is different for some verses. Is there a way to put additional notes onto the staff that would apply to only one of the 4 verses? I've seen this done before using notes in parentheses.

Thanks.

Ken

You could use Text, and then Symbols and Free Text to enter and position "alternate notes" for the printed score, but the notes would not sound when you play back the file in Composer. Hopefully your live musicians reading the sheet music would sound them, though ;)

I used the following steps to enter the alternate note shown here (not a real-life musical example, just for demonstration purposes):

1. Text -> Symbols
2. Click in the score where I want to place the alternate note.
3. Choose the note duration value from the grid in the dialog. Click Ok.
(Fine-position the note on the staff if needed by clicking once on the note, and dragging it to the correct position.)
4. Text -> Free text
5. Click in the score near the note.
6. Type "(" followed by 3 spaces, then ")", and right-click to exit the edit box.
7. Left-click the parentheses, and drag them to fine-place them around the note.

It took more time to type it than it did to do it :)

ttfn,
Sherry

KenRyan
12-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks Sherry!

My learning curve is flattening fast:).

Ken