PDA

View Full Version : MIDI recording too fast and all on one staff

joeseg
12-15-2009, 08:00 PM
I have connected my MIDI interface to 2 different pianos (one is a Yamaha and the other a Technics)

With both of them, the tempo of the recorded piece is too fast - much faster than played.

In addition, both hands end up on the same lower staff.

I'm not a musician, just someone trying to help 2 musicians record their works and notate it. I would appreciate any suggestions for fixing these two problems.

Thanks!

Sherry C
12-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi,

I have connected my MIDI interface to 2 different pianos (one is a Yamaha and the other a Technics)

With both of them, the tempo of the recorded piece is too fast - much faster than played.

It may be that the keyboard that you're recording with is sending a tempo signal to Composer when recording, or is setting it's own tempo during playback, and ignoring the recorded tempo. Try checking out the manual for the keyboard to see if there is a way to turn that feature off. If that's not the problem, then you can just re-set the tempo in Composer by clicking the tempo button in the menu bar (the notehead=XX button), and enter the tempo in the dialog box.

In addition, both hands end up on the same lower staff.
You can either (1) select two staves when you're initially recording to have the recording automatically split into the typical two-staff notation or (2) after recording into a single staff, you can use the Staff/Split Hands command to split the notation from the single staff into two separate staves.

Let us know if the above doesn't solve the problems.

ttfn,
Sherry

joeseg
12-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks - I will try this. :-)

Hi,

It may be that the keyboard that you're recording with is sending a tempo signal to Composer when recording, or is setting it's own tempo during playback, and ignoring the recorded tempo. Try checking out the manual for the keyboard to see if there is a way to turn that feature off. If that's not the problem, then you can just re-set the tempo in Composer by clicking the tempo button in the menu bar (the notehead=XX button), and enter the tempo in the dialog box.

You can either (1) select two staves when you're initially recording to have the recording automatically split into the typical two-staff notation or (2) after recording into a single staff, you can use the Staff/Split Hands command to split the notation from the single staff into two separate staves.

Let us know if the above doesn't solve the problems.

ttfn,
Sherry