PDA

View Full Version : Region Deletion

Impulse
12-11-2009, 04:03 AM
I`ve selected a Region, it`s highlighted but I can`t remove it. I`ve tried Esc. on keyboard and also tried "Clear Undo Hystory" and also CTRL + D. Why can`t I remove this region?

dj
12-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Delete key.

Or CTRL-X.

Or Cut from the Edit menu.

But first make sure you are in the Notes and Rests mode before you try to cut or it may not happen, depending on what you've selected.

Good luck.

David

Sherry C
12-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Howdy,

(From Help/Users guide, using the Index to look up "deleting region of score":

Clearing a region of the score leaves the measures and staves in place, but removes all notes, performance data, and music annotations such as dynamic marks. If you also want to remove the measures or staves, follow the instructions in Deleting Measures and Deleting Staves.
To clear a region of the score.
1. Select the region, as described in Selecting and Editing Regions of a Score.
2. Choose the Clear command in the Edit menu.
-- OR --
Type CTRL+D.

ttfn,
Sherry

SpiritRising
12-21-2009, 04:03 AM
I`ve selected a Region, it`s highlighted but I can`t remove it. I`ve tried Esc. on keyboard and also tried "Clear Undo Hystory" and also CTRL + D. Why can`t I remove this region?
I have the same problem.
I want to delete a rest or shorten a note, and have all subsequent notes shift to the left.

I'm sure it's simple but the documentation on deleting rests doesn't seem to include this option.

Sherry C
12-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi,

I want to delete a rest or shorten a note, and have all subsequent notes shift to the left.

This gets into an area where Composer opts for the "safe" road. Rather than having the rest of your notation move around every time you delete or shorten a note, Composer inserts (or replaces) such deleted or shortened notes with a rest.

To remove a segment or region of a score, you'll need to use the Measure -> Remove measures command. If you don't want to remove all of an existing measure, but say only the first two beats, then you'll need to "mark it off" by inserting a barline (Staff Symbols -> Barlines -> click in the score where you want a barline) before using the command.

You can watch this "rough and ready" video to see the steps to do the "delete and shift" that you want to do.
(http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/videos/DeleteNoteShiftMeasure/DelNoteShiftMeasure.html)

ttfn,
Sherry

SpiritRising
02-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Impulse - I've watched the video about how to delete a note (or rest) in 12 not-so-easy steps.
I still don't understand how to do it.
Instead I use a freeware program to do deletions -- you simply use the del key and all the notes shift. It's easy and intuitive, whereas Notation Composer is peculiar in the extreme.

http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/videos/DeleteNoteShiftMeasure/DelNoteShiftMeasure.html

SpiritRising
02-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Hi Sherry, thanks for the link to the video on region deletion.
Here's what I did last night -- I'm sure there's a better way if you can help me think it through.

Background info -- this is what I do for my choir over and over again:
- use a program to scan sheet music and convert it to a midi.
- import the midi into Notation Composer.

Problem
Sometimes a 1/8 rest is elongated to a 1/4 rest (could be caused by the scanner or by how NC imports midis, don't know yet). Sometimes a note is truncated so everything still lines up properly, but not always.
This happened in a piano staff of an SATB score.

Solution required
So I need to reduce the 1/4 rest to 1/8 where the time signature is 4/4.
(The piece also has bits in 2/4, 3/8, and 5/8 later.)

Action Implemented...
So, I did the barline procedure from the video, and successfully changed the Rest. Yay!

Oops
However, the entire remainder of the piece was then out of synch -- barlines had shifted relative to the notes.
So I adjusted the next measures manually in order to get them re-synchronized with the time signature changes. I ended up having to do this with every measure to the end of the piece (about 100 measures). That took a long time. Me not so smart I think (maybe my past as a software interaction designer blinds me to the obvious).

In the video, there is a step at 0:45 seconds that is invisible to me -- it happens very fast and I can't see what you've clicked on to get the right effect. Perhaps that's where I'm going wrong.

Could you explain what you're thinking about as you do the steps between 40 and 50 seconds in the video? Can you spell out what mental calculation you're doing when choosing to select notes and do whatever happens a 0:45?
Thanks!!