PDA

View Full Version : Transcribing Arpeggios

Saranyu
11-29-2009, 03:55 PM
I've just started using Composer, mainly to transcribe midi files so I can try to play them on the piano. I am relearning piano after a break of some 35 years, so I need all the help I can get; that includes the simplest notation possible.

My problem has to do with transcribing arpeggiated chords, and I enclose a fragment of the midi file to illustrate the problem.

Composer transcribes the chords correctly, of course, but uses a slew of ties. Is there a simple way to "clean" this up. Simply trying to replace the relevant notes with the ornament as described in the manual does not work, for a variety of reasons that are obvious once on loads this fragment into NC. So I seem to be reduced to manually changing the attacks and duration of individual notes until I have something that can written as an arpeggiated chord. In some cases this seems virtually impossible, given that the notes span separate measures.

I realize that there is no completely automatic way to do this, given the vagaries of a live performance captured on midi, but I would appreciate any tips on how to speed up the editing process.

Sherry C
11-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Howdy,

Thanks for including the clip - that is most helpful!

The biggest problem with this particular file is that the file was not recorded with respect to a metronome. In other words, Composer (nor Musician) has any good reference point to determine the proper durations for the notes, which is one reason that it looks like it does. It's also why the "change written-out notation to ornamented (arpeggio sign) notation" doesn't work properly for this file either.

If you've found a piece that you want to learn, and it (like this piece) was not recorded with respect to a metronome, then you can still see if you can find another MIDI file that will give you a better transcription. You can still add "feeling" to a piece after recording it "straight by the beat" by changing the tempo graph (Graph Over Notes, in Composer) after the initial notes are entered or recorded in.

To find these other files, you can either just use Google (or your favorite search engine) and look for "Aura Lee MIDI" (or "Love me Tender MIDI"). Or, you can use a "specialty" search engine, such as those listed at http://www.notation.com/MIDI-Search.php

Good luck - it is a beautiful tune :)
Sherry