PDA

View Full Version : Unable to find device in config.

Trevor
11-26-2009, 02:16 AM
Downloaded trial and looks good. However, could not buy without being able to connect an instrument. Using windows 7 on new del studio xps computer and Edirol um-1 midi/USB interface. UM-1 appears as a device under sound controllers on port 0001 hub 0001. Another product," Sweet midi player" sees the device OK and plays an instrument, Yamaha EL 70. Have spent some time on suggestions in the help file on this subject without any success. Appreciate any answer.

Sherry C
11-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Hi Trevor,

I'm a bit unclear about what you want to do. You should be able to use the Staff Setup, and select the playback device and instrument for each staff.

Or do you have a device hooked up to your computer that the software is not recognizing?

ttfn,
Sherry

Trevor
11-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Hi Sherry
The device does not appear in the list for devices so I gather the software is not recognising the attached USB Roland Edirol UM1- X. This midi USB device is a few years old but I have downloaded the latest driver for 64bit Windows 7 and ensured switch is on advanced driver. Have since loaded Sony Acid Music Studio 7, which I have on disk for XP, onto this computer. Studio 7 has a similar device list to select from, and a play your instrument recognition for MIDI record. Both send and receive work on Studio 7 with the device listed as UM-1. For interest, I have a Video editing program, created for windows 7. This program produces NVIDIA graphics driver crashes and recoveries. Also additional codecs, downloaded and installed are not recognised by the program. Otherwise the computer is very stable and fast.
Trevor

dj
11-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi, Trevor:

For what it's worth, I have used the UM-1 device (and now a UM-4) with Composer with no problems, under XP.

I've used several midi devices with Composer over the years and can't recall Composer not recognizing any device that I have installed, so I can't offer any real help, just that Composer DOES work with the UM-1.

You appear to know what you're talking about, so I assume you have re-booted since the installation of the UM-1. (That's from the "Duh!" file.) ;)

Actually, try the device without the advanced switch on and see what happens.

Good luck.

David

Sherry C
11-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Howdy guys,

One other item to try is reinitializing your MIDI Device Configuration.
If you've done a bit of "custom" configuring, they you may want to use "Config/Clone" to create a backup. Then, use Config/Initialize, and Composer will reinitialize your configuration, and should detect the UM-1 (make sure it's on).

ttfn,
Sherry

Trevor
12-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks for your input. Tried re -config and switch on UM-1. Device refuses to appear. Will revisit product after Windows 7 has been around a little longer.

Thoraldus
06-22-2010, 04:03 AM
Downloaded trial and looks good. However, could not buy without being able to connect an instrument. Using windows 7 on new del studio xps computer and Edirol um-1 midi/USB interface. UM-1 appears as a device under sound controllers on port 0001 hub 0001. Another product," Sweet midi player" sees the device OK and plays an instrument, Yamaha EL 70. Have spent some time on suggestions in the help file on this subject without any success. Appreciate any answer.

Same problem here. Apparently not fixed yet. Apparently a low priority with NS. Same OS same UM-1 interface. The device IS recognized by all my other midi s/w including a REALLY old copy of Cakewalk HomeStudio8. ;-)

dj
06-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi, all:

Since I first replied in this thread, I've updated to an Acer Quad core with Win7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I did lose my UM-4, for which Roland has not updated the driver, but I have successfully installed my UM-1 with the new updated Roland driver.

If you haven't already, check the Roland/Edirol site for the Win7 driver.

Composer sees the UM-1 with no problem for me.

David

Thoraldus
06-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Hi, all:

Since I first replied in this thread, I've updated to an Acer Quad core with Win7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I did lose my UM-4, for which Roland has not updated the driver, but I have successfully installed my UM-1 with the new updated Roland driver.

If you haven't already, check the Roland/Edirol site for the Win7 driver.

Composer sees the UM-1 with no problem for me.

David

David,

I've have been using the new 64 bit driver from Roland. On the off chance there was something amiss with the install I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it. No joy. I installed MidiYoke and MidiOx and the Notation s/w was able to see the MidiYoke ports. I was able to run midi data from Notation to my synth but the timing was messed up really bad. It looked like the Notation s/w was timing out 2.5 seconds for every midi event sent. It was majorly ugly, it took 10 minutes to play a small midi file containing a simple c-d-e-f-g-a-b-c-b-a-g-f-e-d-c scale. ;-)

What version of Composer are you using? I've been trying to run the current trial versions.

Rick

dj
06-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Rick:

That sounds very much like a driver conflict. If another program is trying to connect to the driver at the same time, you can run into the slowdown syndrome.

I have several Composer versions running on my computer, going back to 1.6 and they all seem to work fine with the UM-1. The version of Composer shouldn't matter at all; they're essentially the same when it comes to handling of midi ports.

The fact that you were able to send data to your synth means that the UM-1 port was working -- the fact that it was running so slowly points to a conflict. In the old days of DOS 3.0, I'd have said it was an IRQ conflict. Nowadays, it's either the driver or another program trying to access it at the same time.

Just had a thought: go to Setup/Midi Devices/Configuration/Port/Select Ports and see whether the UM-1 device shows up and whether it is checked as selected for your configuration.

Good luck.

David

Thoraldus
06-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Rick:

That sounds very much like a driver conflict. If another program is trying to connect to the driver at the same time, you can run into the slowdown syndrome.

I have several Composer versions running on my computer, going back to 1.6 and they all seem to work fine with the UM-1. The version of Composer shouldn't matter at all; they're essentially the same when it comes to handling of midi ports.

The fact that you were able to send data to your synth means that the UM-1 port was working -- the fact that it was running so slowly points to a conflict. In the old days of DOS 3.0, I'd have said it was an IRQ conflict. Nowadays, it's either the driver or another program trying to access it at the same time.

Just had a thought: go to Setup/Midi Devices/Configuration/Port/Select Ports and see whether the UM-1 device shows up and whether it is checked as selected for your configuration.

Good luck.

David

David,

The problem is that no other midi program I am running on the system has any problem, including some pretty old x86 programs. All the other programs see the UM-1.

Just took a look at the port selects as you suggested and found the Notation Musician program had automatically selected ALL ports for input and output. Naughty - naughty! ;-) After deselecting all the inappropriate ports the program plays through MidiYoke to the synth at tempo. ;-)

The program still does not see the UM-1 directly but I am now able to evaluate the program to make a purchase decision. Thank you David for the helping hand.

cheers,
Rick

awucher
06-19-2011, 01:29 PM

I was having exactly the same problem today with the newest Windows 7 (32 bit) driver from Roland installed. The notator software did not recognize the UM-1 midi port while all other software does. I solved the problem by installing the old XP driver they still have on their webpage. Now everything works fine. Must be a bug in the new driver.

Andreas

floyd84s
08-03-2011, 07:57 AM
I am using Windows 7 :)http://www.ywseo.net/zhu.jpg
http://www.ywseo.net/gongsi.jpg
http://www.ywseo.net/ht.jpg