PDA

View Full Version : Changing note durations or lengths

passionfruit
11-20-2009, 03:08 PM
I am new to this software. I have created a song using just quarter notes and subsequently wish to change the durations of some of the notes. How is this achieved? I cannot find a function to change the length of a note and subsequently re-sequence all the following notes. Is this, somewhat fundamental facility, not supported?

Thanks

Sherry C
11-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Howdy,

I am new to this software. I have created a song using just quarter notes and subsequently wish to change the durations of some of the notes. How is this achieved? I cannot find a function to change the length of a note and subsequently re-sequence all the following notes. Is this, somewhat fundamental facility, not supported?

Thanks

To change the duration of any note, you can (1) click on it (or click-drag over a group of notes) to select it and (2) choose a different note duration from the palette (eg. click the Half-note button). This will change all selected notes to the note duration you click.

I'm not sure what you mean by "resequence all the following notes". If you mean "shift all the following notes by the increased duration", then no, Composer doesn't do that when you change a note duration. To do that could mean shifting things in lots of unintended ways if you had, say, more than a handful of instruments already going and you only wanted to change the one note duration :) You can, however, insert measures of any length (eg. for a 4/4 composition, you can insert a short 1/4 measure, and then shift the barlines) into your file to accommodate any extra duration you need.

Hopefully the above is helpful. If I've missed the question, please let me know :)

ttfn,
Sherry