PDA

View Full Version : Bug on Windows 7

mswlogo
10-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Just FYI, since Windows 7 will be officially released tomorrow.

Notation Composer has an annoying bug on Windows 7.

When you freshly reboot the computer, then start Notation up and load a file it will hang, every time. Then Kill it with task manager and then do it again and it will run perfectly fine from then on. Until the next reboot.

Happens on multiple computers.

I'm running the same release of Windows 7 that will be released tomorrow, not a beta or release candadite.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional.

I run many different pieces of software and only two have issues on Windows 7. Notation and a very old version AIM. Which also has problems on first invocation after a boot and runs fine after that.

mswlogo
10-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Never mind.

Turns out the problem was AIM causing Notation to Hang.

When the computer starts, it starts AIM in the background.

If AIM is "stuck" then when I go to open a .NOT or .MID file with Notation is just hangs. As soon as I kill AIM Notation gets unstuck. But if I left AIM stuck and killed Notation and tried again Notation would be fine.

Very strange.

Sherry C
10-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Howdy,

Glad you got it figured out, but what is "AIM"?

ttfn,
Sherry

mswlogo
10-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Howdy,

Glad you got it figured out, but what is "AIM"?

ttfn,
Sherry

Aol Instant Messenger. I like the old version because it has little adware.

Sherry C
10-22-2009, 01:26 AM
Howdy,

Thanks for the clarification about AOL Instant Messenger. If it uses any kind of sounds, they may be MIDI-based, and thus it may be an issue of it hanging up your sound card. You might want to check and be sure your sound card drivers are up to date.

ttfn,
Sherry

mswlogo
10-22-2009, 05:06 AM
Howdy,

Thanks for the clarification about AOL Instant Messenger. If it uses any kind of sounds, they may be MIDI-based, and thus it may be an issue of it hanging up your sound card. You might want to check and be sure your sound card drivers are up to date.

ttfn,
Sherry

All my machines are painfully up to date (kind of assumed if you want to run Windows 7 :) ).

I agree it's some resource contention . But what's really weird is if I kill Notation and start it again it's ok. And it only locks up when I open a file. I never attempt to play a sound. But It's definitely an AIM issue though.

There are tons of instant messengers these days I've just been too lazy to change.

Sorry for the tangent, I had totally forgotten AIM was sitting out thier hung on boot and never expect them to be coupled.

Sherry C
10-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Howdy,

No problem at all for the tangent. The reason that I mentioned AIM in conjunction with the MIDI driver is that all our products will try to initialize the MIDI driver for your soundcard before they ever fully open up. This is so it will be ready to play when you are :) If AIM uses MIDI sounds and is hanging up the MIDI driver, then it will cause our products to hang up as well when trying to open because of the MIDI driver "stall".

Anyway, thanks for letting us know what the issue was - I'm sure there are other AIM users who may find this helpful too.

ttfn,
Sherry