PDA

View Full Version : MidiNotate Composer 20 beta release version 1911

Mark Walsen (markwa)
09-27-2006, 05:25 AM
Composer beta release version 1.9.11 is now available at:
www.notation.com/MidiNotateBetaRelease.htm (http://www.notation.com/MidiNotateBetaRelease.htm)

If you are using any prior version of Composer, it will be necessary for you to download and install version 1.9.11. (No patches from previous beta versions are available.)

Composer beta release version 1.9.11 includes the following enhancements:

New Song Wizard. The New Song Wizard has been much improved. As you make choices for the ensemble, meter, key signature, measure count, and song title, you can watch the score evolve according to your choices.

Importing MIDI files. Composer now analyzes with tracks in the imported MIDI file are probably keyboard tracks that need the Split Hands to be applied, or which are right- and left-hand keyboard staves that are in the incorrect order which needs to be reversed. You have a chance to review Composer's recommendations before it applies the corrections.

Parts. The "parts" feature of Composer has been reorganized to make it more intuitive. Many commands in the Parts menu have been moved to a new Change Part dialog, which more clearly shows the relationship between staves and parts. For example, a piano part typically has two staves. There is also a new Add Keyboard RH and LH Staves command in the Staff menu, to create a pair of right- and left-hand staves for a keyboard part, with an brace added to the left of the pair of staves.

Cheers
-- Mark

Bernie Ackerman (bernie9)
09-27-2006, 11:14 AM
I downloaded 1.9.11, but it hung up at 7/8 installed and locked my pc. Rebooted and tried again. This time it istalled, but would not fully open a midi file. I uninstalled it, and Composer 1.7 I had, would not work.

I finally uninstalled everything, and reinstalled 1.7. Over the years, this is the first problem I've had. I am back to where I was,but that's all.

Bernie

Mark Walsen (markwa)
09-27-2006, 02:33 PM
To everyone,

If you have a problem installing this or other releases, make sure that you have exited the old version of MidiNotate before trying to install the new. If the installation of the new fails, then try restarting Windows and install the new version-- that worked for Bernie above. It shouldn't be necessary to uninstall the old version first, but if you're still having trouble installing, then trying uninstalling the old version first, and then install the new. Finally, if none of that works, then temporarily turn off your anti-virus and anti-spyware software while installing MidiNotate.

If you successfully installing the new version of Composer 1.9.11, but it fails to open a MIDI file (which was Bernie's main problem above), then leave show me the MIDI file. There might be a bug I don't know about in the new "Importing MIDI Files" feature mentioned in my first post in this thread.

Cheers
-- Mark

Bernie Ackerman (bernie9)
09-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Hi Mark
I got 9.11 going by simply rebooting after it hung on opening a midi from Composer. The error sited beforehand was a signature error,whatever that is.

Anyway, I am a happy camper now. The GUI looks great. I can't help but marvel at the vast difference in this version compared to eight years ago, and it was darn good then. I hate to think of the years of work that has gone into your creation. It would have to be a labor of love for all involved.

After the prompting by the opening screen several times, I decided to go through your tutorial. It, in itself, is a masterpiece.

Thanks for everything.
Bernie

Mark Walsen (markwa)
09-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Hello Bernie,

Thanks for the encouraging remarks. Yes, this is a labor of love to a large extent. There would have been a lot easier ways to earn a lot more income during these last 12 years of full-time(+) effort. But I can't imagine any other way I would have rather pretended to earn an income.

Cheers
-- Mark

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
09-28-2006, 06:23 AM
Hi Mark and Bernie,

If Composer was recently open and the computer hadn't been re-booted before installing the beta, perhaps the problem was that Composer wasn't fully closed.

I have discovered, using Task Manager (if that's the correct name), that while the application does not show up as running, the process sometimes is and you have to use 'kill process' to fully close it.

all best,
mgj