PDA

View Full Version : Notation Composer and Musician 242 maintenance release

Mark Walsen (markwa)
05-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Hello Notation Composer and Musician Users,

If you are using Notation Composer or Musician version 2.0 through 2.4.1, you are encouraged to update to version 2.4.2. You can review the version number of Composer or Musician by using the About command in the Help menu.

Visit the following web page for a description of the feature enhancements and bug fixes in the various releases 2.0 up to 2.4.2 and for instructions for updating to the latest version 2.4.2:

http://notation.com/ComposerWebUpdate.php

or

http://notation.com/MusicianWebUpdate.php

IMPORTANT: If you are using Windows Vista and are using Notation Composer or Musician version 2.3, 2.3.1, 2.3.2, 2.3.3, or 2.4 then the Help / Software Updates / Install command will not work. Instead, run the following program that was installed with Composer or Musician on your system: \Program Files\Notation\Composer\wupdate.exe or \Program Files Notation\Musician\wupdate.exe

Cheers
-- Mark

Herbert WENDE (herbert)
05-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Hi Mark,

A)

1. Select notes of a chord.
2. Depress shift + left arrow

Composer terminates.

B)

Depressing ctrl + spacebar adds an empty staff and selects it. Any of the following happens: playback starts, empty staff disappears, Composer terminates.

I use this key combination sometimes by mistake, when I intend to use shift + spacebar. This problem was also with Composer 2.4.1.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Sherry Crann (sherry)
05-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Howdy Herbert,

Thanks for the reports, but we're unable to reproduce the second one. Let's follow up on it via email support, so as not to waste this Announcements section with bandwidth about special setups and such that might be causing an isolated problem.

Thanks!
Sherry

Sherry Crann (sherry)
05-10-2008, 04:43 PM
p.s. I misspoke - I'm not able to reproduce either problem.

Thanks!
Sherry

Mark Walsen (markwa)
05-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Hello Herbert,

Thanks for your reports. I was able to reproduce the first problem, but not the second. I've already now fixed the first problem (select chord, Shift+LeftArrow, crash), and will release that fix in 2.4.3.

Cheers
-- Mark

Herbert WENDE (herbert)
05-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Hi Sherry, Mark,

I think now, that problem B may have been due to a corrupted file.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Herbert WENDE (herbert)
05-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi Mark,

A) Changing between two open files looses selection of a note.

B) Paste special does not work, when appending a file to another file and the meter differ.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Michael Dodson (michael8648)
05-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Selecting a single or a very few notes is not labor effective when you can create them on the spot for equal or less effort.
I've never had to use "paste special". Select one or more measures. use control C to copy. Highlight where you want the measure replicated and type control V. If necessary, "deselect", or highlight another measure and type control V for each additional measure needed. Copying measures is efficient. Copying and pasting chord groups will sometimes work, but is not as predictable. "Paste Special" just does not apply here.

05-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Copying to mismatched meter shouldn't work. Make meter match in advance. Otherwise, even if copy succeeds, measures will be changed and may not be what you desired. Change the target measures to match, first.

Herbert WENDE (herbert)
05-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Hi Michael,

I appreciate your effort to help. This is the right spirit. But you are missing the point. Just read my post again.

A) and B) used to work in earlier versions.

Best wishes,

Herbert

05-15-2008, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the confidence in intentions. I'm likely missing the value gained or lost with A) or B). So I defer to Mark or Sherry.
Best wishes,

Michael

Herbert WENDE (herbert)
05-15-2008, 04:19 AM
Hi Michael,

My post was about joining files. I usually assemble a project from a number of short files. Paste special is a good way of doing it. I should have said, that I can not remember, having had the problem as indicated in my post.

Just using paste works ok. But I appreciate any improvement in productivity, as I am always battling to finish a project in time. Paste special is faster to use than paste.

I seem to have posted in the wrong section. Somebody has kindly moved the posts.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Sherry Crann (sherry)
05-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Howdy Herbert,

Thanks for the reports - I was able to reproduce both problems and they are now in the queue for fixing.

ttfn,
Sherry

Herbert WENDE (herbert)
05-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi Mark,

1. Select upper and lower voice notes.
2. Move notes to an empty staff below by shift + down arrow

Composer terminates.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Sherry Crann (sherry)
05-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Howdy Herbert,

Thanks for the report - I've been able to reproduce it with only two notes on the same tic. Duly noted (very bad pun intended ;) )

ttfn,
Sherry

Mark Walsen (markwa)
05-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Hello Herbert and Sherry,

I was also able to reproduce this with 2.4.2. It is already fixed now in the upcoming 2.4.3. Thanks for the report.

Cheers
-- Mark

Herbert WENDE (herbert)
05-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Hi Sherry,

The command “Combine chord” or “cc” is most useful.

If one of the notes to be combined is part of a chord, the command does not work.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Mark Walsen (markwa)
05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi Herbert,

Thanks for reporting this bug. I've entered it into the bug list. It will likely get fixed in the next 4 weeks.

Cheers
-- Mark

Herbert WENDE (herbert)
05-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Hi Sherry, Mark,

If you delete a tremolo by depressing the delete button, Composer terminates.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Sherry Crann (sherry)
05-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Howdy Herbert,

I'm having difficulty reproducing this problem. Could you please give me the particular steps you're using to see the problem?

My test was as follows:

1. Create a new file.
2. Add a half note on beat one of the first measure.
3. Use the Ornament palette to make that note a tremelo.
4. Select the note, and press Delete.

The note deleted fine for me with no crash. What should I do to see the bug?

Thanks!
Sherry

Herbert WENDE (herbert)
05-21-2008, 04:42 AM
Hi Sherry,

1. Open a new file by following the defaults of “Create a New Song”.
2. Place onto the treble staff a chord of two 1/4 notes, g and c. A single note does not show the problem.
3. Change notes to a single chord tremolo.
4. Select both notes. A single note does not show the problem.
5. Depress the delete button.

Composer terminates.

Best wishes,

Herbert

05-21-2008, 05:38 AM
Dear Sherry, Mark and Herbert,

Have you ever been the least annoyed when you add a note to a staff and you find yourself in limbo land on a previous graphics page? You find your way back, of course, but the paint routine neglected to return to the corrected graphics where the new note is inserted.
I know, ignorance is bliss, and you think I've reached total nervana, but I think the graphics repaint routine could be a possible trigger for your tremelo deletion crash. I would also wonder if the same test crashes if the new tremelo chord is after a few stable measures.

If there is no relation to the repaint problem, I'd still like to have all the repaint routines come back to where one is currently working. By changing the graphics page, it allows a "redraw" offscreen, which is fast and very cool, but please return to the active graphics page where one was last working after the redraw.

Thanks Herbert, for finding the snags. This software is getting better and better all the time. And so goes my three seconds of fame. Best wishes to all.

-- Michael --

Herbert WENDE (herbert)
05-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi Michael,

After using Composer for a while one becomes familiar with all the good features, but also with some blemishes. Familiarity brings about fondness. Fondness makes us forgiving of a little misbehavior.

I have called the disappearance of the editing object “loss of focus”. Loss of focus is annoying but quite benign.

Best wishes,

Herbert

05-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Here's hoping for some Clearasil for the software "blemishes". I don't need them, and neither does Composer.

EDIT SETUP doesn't function correctly. (It has, before) The attachment has a "blemish" common to midi imported from Creative Lab editing. The top track is blank or not showing anything useful. Some midi systems use track 1 for rhythm data.
I want to delete the blank track. I could do so before.
I also want to "hide" duplicate tracks so I'll have only three visible tracks to edit for readibility. When I am done with all this I want it to display this way under Conductor's Score. Otherwise, all this useful display work will be gone when opened with Notation Player.
The attachment comes immediately after "Herod's Waltz" in my musical drama. Thus, I eventually want any "newbie" to be capable of printing a legible sheet music.

-- Michael --<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gif"The Community Meeting" without karaoke lyrics
The Community Meeting.not (http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/The_Community_Meeting-36083.not) (312.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>

05-21-2008, 10:30 PM
To clarify the above:
STAFF >> SETUP is where I find the problem.

05-21-2008, 10:53 PM
<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gifcorrected using version 2.1 (??)
The Community Meeting__2_1.not (http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/The_Community_Meeting__2_1-36086.not) (305.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>
I used version 2.1 and eventually got what I wanted (I think?) I couldn't get this far with 2.4 . There was so much manipulation involved, I'm not sure this is what I wanted. I may just have to use v2.1 to fix the printing version and remodify the setup for the version to export to midi. I would like for the 5 tracks to play and the three tracks to show, since two of the tracks are dupes (pan is different).
Informed opinion is welcome. Otherwise I will move on.

Mark Walsen (markwa)
05-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Hello Herbert,

Thanks you for your clear bug report above, which I was able to reproduce:<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

1. Open a new file by following the defaults of “Create a New Song”.
2. Place onto the treble staff a chord of two 1/4 notes, g and c. A single note does not show the problem.
3. Change notes to a single chord tremolo.
4. Select both notes. A single note does not show the problem.
5. Depress the delete button.

Composer terminates.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I confirmed that this was b bug in version 2.4.2. I have now fixed it for the upcoming 2.4.3 release.

Cheers
-- Mark

Mark Walsen (markwa)
05-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Hello Michael,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I want to delete the blank track. I could do so before.
I also want to "hide" duplicate tracks so I'll have only three visible tracks to edit for readibility. When I am done with all this I want it to display this way under Conductor's Score. Otherwise, all this useful display work will be gone when opened with Notation Player.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Sometime, several months and releases ago, there was a change in how Staff Setup works. In Composer, a "part" displays some subset of all of the staves (or all staves in the case of a conductor's score). The change made several months ago was that you can temporarily hide staves for a part. Composer tried to "retrain" users about this behavior change with the follow message box that comes up when you turn the 'Show' checkmark off for a staff:
http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/36088.jpg

I want to delete the blank track. I could do so before.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>There shouldn't be any problem with that. There has been no behavior change. Just do this:
http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/36089.jpg

I also want to "hide" duplicate tracks so I'll have only three visible tracks to edit for readibility. When I am done with all this I want it to display this way under Conductor's Score.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>The following is not the way to do it:http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/36090.jpg
Instead, follow these steps: Choose the Display or Define Part command in the Part menu. In the left half of the 'Display and Define Part's dialog, change the selection from 'Conductor's Score' to the first Acoustic Grand Piano part. You'll notice that on the first, only the first piano staff is selected. The following screen shot assumes that you've already previously deleted the empty track:http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/36091.jpg Click the 'Display Part and Exit' dialog box. You'll see just that first piano part displayed. (You might want to use the Split Hands command.) Save the file as a Notation .not file, not a MIDI file.Later, when you open this with Notation Player version 2.3, it will display just first piano part rather than the whole conductor's score, because that was the part that was current at the time that you saved the Notation .not file.

Cheers
-- Mark

Mark Walsen (markwa)
05-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Michael,

P.S. Wow, I haven't had that much fun making screen shots for the forum for a long time.

Cheers
-- Mark

Mark Walsen (markwa)
05-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Hello Herbert,

I edited my post above to say that the 'delete tremolo' bug is now fixed. Actually, I discovered that I had already fixed it in the current version 2.4.3 that I'm working on.

Cheers
-- Mark

05-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Mark, I truly appreciate the pictures which helped quite a lot.
I also wanted to shout out a special thanks for your "export" arrangement for Midi. Now I can export my changes to midi and continue without interruption working on a notation file, great when finishing up and checking lyrics.

Tim Fatchen (flyingtadpole)
05-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Is this just me? this is so basic I thought it would be in the lsit of ?bugs but couldn't find it.

2.4.2 in XP (I had to recently re-download everthing!)

Select a region (ctrl-mouse)
convert it to notes qcrn
hit DEL

COmposer terminates with message "runtime error! Abnormal project termination

Mark Walsen (markwa)
05-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Hello Tim,

I wasn't able to reproduce this with version 2.4.2, nor with the current version (2.5) I'm working on. Please attach the .not file that illustrates this, and let me know what region you selected with Ctrl+Drag.

Thanks!

Cheers
-- Mark

Tim Fatchen (flyingtadpole)
05-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi Mark. I really don't know what's going on, but here's a scratch file. If I use ctrl-mouse to define an area and it marks the notes (anticipation), then I use qcrn, I get an abnormal termination and exit.

It may be I have too much debris lying about? But I've tried deleting everything Notation and re-installing without effect. Rolling back to 2.2 works fine.<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gifTest scratch files
delete test2.not (http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/delete_test2-36212.not) (10.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Mark Walsen (markwa)
05-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Hello Tim,

I was able to reproduce the crash with version 2.4.2 using your above .not file. That's a serious bug.

It turns out, I've already fixed that bug (without knowing about this particular symptom of the bug) in the upcoming verison 2.5. I have been planning on saving up a big batch of usability improvements, some nice new features (such as Scale Meter) and bug fixes for a 2.5 release in about 2 weeks. This bug symptom is sufficiently serious that I'm tempted to get its fix out in a quick 2.4.3 release, but that would cost me a whole day to prepare the release. So, unless another serious bug shows up, I'll wait until the 2.5 release, in about 2 weeks, to make this bug fix available.

Thanks for reporting it!

Cheers
-- Mark

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
06-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Hi Mark,

Please select all the notes in measures 37 and 38, either by dragging he mouse or moving the cursor over the individual notes. Then use Shift plus either the up or down arrow. The result will be abnormal program termination.

The odd thing is that having done the same process at several other places in the file produces normal results.

all best,
mgj

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gifexample
Symphony 3 (http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/Symphony_3__I_Patriots-36242.not) (76.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Herbert WENDE (herbert)
06-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Hi Sherry, Mark,

1. Create a new song by following the defaults of “start a new song from scratch”
2. Add four 1/4 notes to the first bar. Say four times g.
3. Add lyrics to each note advancing each time with space bar. The lyrics are “a”, “b”, “c” and “d”.
4 While the lyric “d” is still selected, click “c”.
5. Click “b”.
6. Click “c”.

Composer fails to respond.

Note: Composers failure to respond is not due to, or is punishment for the uninteresting composition or meaningless lyrics.

Best wishes,

Herbert

06-03-2008, 08:59 AM
This may or may not be related, you decide.
Composer never has been able to add lyrics such that the first note in the score can have a lyric syllable. It will look okay, but when played by VBKaraoke, etc. the first lyric syllable will not show. In the example you gave, I would expect B C D. The A would not show. One can add a preceeding potential lyric space and the problem goes away. In the example, inserting a 1/4 measure as measure #1, then letting the lyric actually start from measure #2, the example should finally (be expected to) display A B C D. Wasn't ABCDEFGHI a song on Sesame Street?
-- Michael --

Sherry Crann (sherry)
06-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Howdy guys,

MG - I apologize for not getting back on this sooner. Your report slid under my radar. I tried the procedure that you outlined, but without any problem. If you reopen this file in a fresh session of Composer, and attempt the steps, do you still get an abnormal program termination?

Herbert - I was able to reproduce the problem you reported, and it's now on the "fix it" list. The work around for this one is to make sure that the lyric edit box is gone (ie, that you switch from "add" to "select" mode) before selecting another lyric. I'm also sending you a book on lyrical poetry ;)

Michael - VanBasco (and other karaoke players) rely on slash marks for formatting the lyrics. Please try putting a "\" before that first lyric, eg "\a" rather than just "a". That should signal VB "Hey - lyrics coming up!" You can set Composer to hide those slash marks while you're working with the file if you find them annoying in that context. Please see the User's Guide, "Editing types of text/ Lyrics /Working with karaoke (.kar) files" for further information on formatting files for use in karaoke players.

ttfn,
Sherry

Daniel Vallery (danielv)
06-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Hey everyone,

wow, its been forever since I've posted. Anyways, a file that I had saved in 2.3.1 all of the sudden would not open anymore. If I tried, Composer would terminate. I updated Composer to 2.4.2, tried to open the file, but said that due to the format it could not be opened. The format was definitely not more recent than the Composer version. Here's the file:
<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gif
bid farewell piano.not (http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/bid_farewell_piano-36274.not) (307.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>
~Daniel

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
06-04-2008, 02:16 AM
Hi Sherry,

Quote: I tried the procedure that you outlined, but without any problem. If you reopen this file in a fresh session of Composer, and attempt the steps, do you still get an abnormal program termination? End Quote.

After several fresh sessions, or both Composer and the computer. What surprised me most was that this was that only these notes in those two measures produced the result. Did you by chance try it in a version that had some of the abnormal termination problems fixed?

all best,
mgj

06-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Hi Sherry,
I fixed lyrics as suggested and exported to midi. <center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gifABCDEFGHI NOT
ABCDEFGHI.not (http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/ABCDEFGHI-36280.not) (8.6 k)</td></tr></table></center><center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/mime_midi.gifABCDEFGHI MID
ABCDEFGHI.mid (http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/ABCDEFGHI-36281.mid) (0.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/36282.jpg
Here is not file, mid file and picture of VB lyric output, and
I did it your way.
Lyrics do not want a syllable attached to the first note or rest.
Try it; you'll see.
y'all come,
--Michael--

Sherry Crann (sherry)
06-04-2008, 03:48 AM
Howdy Michael,

I opened the .mid file and found a "/" (forward slash) rather than the suggested "\" (backward slash). I think it's the "\" (backward slash) that will make the difference. "Leaning into it" as it were ;) Please let me know if it doesn't. The "/" (forward slash) is for a different formatting aspect of karaoke files. Mark has written a nice section on karaoke formatting in the User's Guide, as mentioned above.

ttfn,
Sherry

Sherry Crann (sherry)
06-04-2008, 03:54 AM
Howdy Daniel,

I've let Mark know about the problem with your file not opening (I was unable to open it as well in 2.3.2). In the meantime, if you need to work on it, you may need to reinstall your older version of Composer. If you need help with that, let me know.

ttfn,
Sherry

Sherry Crann (sherry)
06-04-2008, 04:00 AM
Howdy MG,

Ah - my bad, which actually will be for your good http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif I did have a newer in-progress version when I tested your file (I'd forgotten to switch back), and so the good news is that the problem is fixed in the next 2.5 release, which should happen (according to my sources) within the next two weeks.

As a work around for now, you'll need to use Region Select, and copy the measures, then paste them into any new sections where you want them to be rather than using the select/shift+up/down arrow shortcut for putting those notes elsewhere. Sorry about that.

ttfn,
Sherry

06-04-2008, 04:40 AM
Hi Sherry,
I corrected the slash direction in the notation file. I deleted the midi file. I exported a new ABCDEFGHI midi file. It still plays B C D E F G H I. The A does not play. Do you want a free copy of VanBasco? The exported midi from Composer will not show the A, forward or back slashed.
-- Michael --

David Jacklin (dj)
06-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi, Sherry, Daniel et al:

Regarding files suddenly not opening:

I'm still with 2.3.3 (as my steam-powered internet connection has not been reliable enough lately to download a big file) and since I took my studio apart and re-arranged it, I've suddenly been having difficulty with files not opening.

I've found that it has to do with changing of the default sound device. It seems that the file loads as far as the new dialogue box that comes up asking about re-assigning staves to the new default device and then the program hangs before that box is displayed.

This seems only to happen when the new default device is one that was not present (or has been modified since) the file was originally created.

I've worked around this by making sure that the default device is what was originally saved with the file, then making changes later as needed.

So far, I think that all the files that caused Composer to hang have loaded with that workaround in place.

David

Daniel Vallery (danielv)
06-05-2008, 03:01 AM
Hey Sherry,

yes, I do need some info regarding re-installing an older version, as I have unfortunately deleted any setups that I had.

And for clarification's sake, all of my files open with 2.4.2 accept for this one, which would terminate version 2.3.1. I simply upgraded to see if it would open again, which it didn't.

~Daniel

Sherry Crann (sherry)
06-05-2008, 04:50 AM
Howdy Daniel,

Actually Mark and I both tested this file in other versions of Composer, and it appears that the file itself has been corrupted somehow. Since all your other files open in 2.4.2, that gives even more weight to that conclusion.

Your best bet here is to use the "File/Autosave file recovery" command, and then look for the last-saved backup of your "bid farewell piano" file. It should look like "bid farewell piano-Recover-1.not" for the last-saved one. Please try opening that file, or the ones before it, and see if they will open in 2.4.2. If so, you should only lose about the last five minutes of work you'd done on the file.

Here's hoping you can recover an uncorrupted copy quickly!
Sherry

Sherry Crann (sherry)
06-05-2008, 04:51 AM
Howdy Michael,

Thanks for trying my suggestion - sorry it wasn't the magic bullet http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

I'll report this problem so we can get it fixed!

ttfn,
Sherry

Mark Walsen (markwa)
06-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Hello MG,

Thanks for reporting this problem a few days ago with your Symphony 3 .not file:

Please select all the notes in measures 37 and 38, either by dragging he mouse or moving the cursor over the individual notes. Then use Shift plus either the up or down arrow. The result will be abnormal program termination.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I confirmed the bug in version 2.4.2. It is now fixed for the next release, version 2.5, or perhaps 2.4.3. I might decide to get a 2.4.3 maintenance release out sooner with a few fixes like that one.

Cheers
-- Mark

Mark Walsen (markwa)
06-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Hello Michael,

This is a bug in VanBasco, not Composer:

Composer never has been able to add lyrics such that the first note in the score can have a lyric syllable. It will look okay, but when played by VBKaraoke, etc. the first lyric syllable will not show.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I was able to reproduce the bug by creating a .kar file totally from scratch in Cakewalk SONAR 7. Just as with the .kar file created by Composer, VanBasco did not display the first lyric.

There's a way I could work around VanBasco's bug. I found that if I added one MIDI tick to the first lyric event, then it would be correctly displayed by VanBasco. However, I'm afraid that if I add that work-around in Composer, just to accommodate VanBasco, I might break some other MIDI or Karaoke application trying to read the Karaoke file created by Composer. Therefore, I will not attempt to add a work-around in Composer.

Instead, I think the work-around you found is a fairly good one, to add an empty upbeat measure before the beginning of the song.

Cheers
-- Mark

06-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks, Mark.
The truth is that most of the time, songs with lyrics have an instrumental lead-in. On that rare occasion they don't, I just append a lead-in "rest" or a mute note ahead of the first music. An "empty up-beat measure", exactly.

Daniel Vallery (danielv)
06-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Ok this is kinda strange... When I tried to open the recovery place, its says access denied, then opens up a manual 'open' window. I went manually to Notation/Composer/Recover, and it said access denied again.

Either way, I checked the properties of the Recover folder, and it said it has 0 files and 0 bytes of memory. But I really don't want my recovery folder to be denied to me...

~Daniel

Daniel Vallery (danielv)
06-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Okay, now the recover file is opening, but when I try to open any file saved there, it says that access is denied. Anyways, the bid farewell piece is not there, so I'll do it over from scratch.
~Daniel

Sherry Crann (sherry)
06-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Howdy Daniel,

Ok, this is weird - I received email notifications of two posts from you, but I don't see them here on the forum.

The issue was regarding shifting notes from one staff to another. This problem has been fixed for the upcoming 2.5 release due in the next couple of weeks.

Daniel, if you had a problem with trying to post to the forum, please email me at support@notation.com and let me know what problem you encountered.

ttfn,
Sherry

Sherry Crann (sherry)
06-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Howdy Daniel,

Re. the "access denied" - that's probably a Windows folder setting.

Start -> Control Panel -> Folder options

There you can set which types of folders show, which ones are archive-only, etc.

And you have to be logged in as an administrator to make the changes http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

ttfn,
Sherry

Daniel Vallery (danielv)
06-06-2008, 04:41 PM
I did send 2 posts, but I deleted them after I saw that the problem I found was the first thing posted by Herbert. Sorry for the confusion.

~Daniel

Sherry Crann (sherry)
06-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Howdy Daniel,

Thanks for confirming that what bit of remaining sanity I have is still intact ;) There are days when I wonder about me....

ttfn,
Sherry

Herbert WENDE (herbert)
06-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi Sherry, Mark,

1. Create a new song by following the defaults of “start a new song from scratch”
2. Add 1/4 notes to the first two measures. Say eight times g.
3. Add lyrics to each note of the first measure. The lyrics are “a”, “b”, “c” and “d”.
4 Copy and paste special lyrics from the first measure to the second measure.

Only “a” is pasted.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Sherry Crann (sherry)
06-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Howdy Herbert,

Thanks for the report - we've got that one on the list and being worked on http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

ttfn,
Sherry

Herbert WENDE (herbert)
06-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Hi Sherry, Mark,

1. Select an ordinary barline.
2. Click “End and start barline” on the barline palette.

The selected barline changes to a start barline.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Sherry Crann (sherry)
06-29-2008, 01:58 AM
Howdy Herbert,

Thanks for the report - I've confirmed the bug, and it's now on the "swat it" list.

ttfn,
Sherry