PDA

View Full Version : Synthfont dropouts Tip Program ChangesQuestion

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
09-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Hello,

I've been experiencing dropouts playing midi (and converting to .wav) in SF. I played with the areas where the dropouts happened in Composer, but everything seemed in order (no notes the piano roll said didn't have performances matching the notation; no notes with velocity set too low). I edited everything that seemed relevant in SF's OPTIONS, but nothing worked and there was only one setting left.

That one was OPTIONS/options/Handling overlapping notes. By default it is checked. I unchecked it and the dropouts ceased.

Question: I haven't discovered how to get program changes to take effect, at least not consistently. Has anyone had this problem and found a way to solve it, short of adding extra staves in Composer and cutting/pasting the program change measures?

BTW, I haven't found the link on the SF website to a forum.

all best,
mgj

Sherry Crann (sherry)
09-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Howdy MG,

I've sometimes had problems with dropouts in SF also, but didn't investigate far enough to uncover the problem - good job, sir!

The FORUM link on the SynthFont home page is a text link, just a little ways down in the "main body". If you click it there, you'll stay in a frame that gives you the url "www.synthfont.com (http://www.synthfont.com)" but the actual url is http://www.ts-central.com/tsbb/viewforum.php?f=2

For your question above, are you talking about getting program changes to take effect in SynthFont? If so, I've never had to worry about that in SF, so I can't answer that question.

ttfn,
Sherry "contrarytowhatItellmykidsIdon'tknoweverythinghttp ://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" Crann

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
09-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Hi Sherry,

Program changes work fine in Composer, but in SF the change often does not happen--bowed continues instead of changing to pizzicato, for instance, although the change shows properly in the drop down list. I'd say I have a setting awry somewhere. Perhaps re-installing the program would be the answer.

Thanks for the URL--I still haven't found in on the main page.

best,
mgj

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
09-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Hi Sherry,

Another tweak for SF: I was getting static using Viena, the SF soundfont editor. In Options/IO ports, I set all options to my sound card, and unchecked Don't Use ASIO and checked my sound card there, too.
Sounds beautiful now.

BTW, I did install the Audigy 2 ZS. There were some differences from any previous installation and I found ONLY the devices just installed checked in Composer's Port select dialog. I've done quite a few hours of playing back in Composer, using only the default sound banks (the ones in Win\system32), without a problem. I just assigned two staves to the other synth, and played 20 minutes worth of trumpet concerto, without adverse incident. What will happen with larger files is yet to be seen. But I didn't get this far with previous installations.

best,
mgj