PDA

View Full Version : GPO KS instrument control in MNC

John Smith (johnsmi)
12-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Just wondered if anyone is using the KS (Key Switch) instrument controls in GPO from MNC and if so any hint/tips you can pass on?

For anyone who has not used the KS feature of GPO it is where (for some instruments) the unused keys (those out of playing range of the instrument) are used to set various playing modes for that instrument. EG a string section can play pizz. tremolo, legato and so on. In other words a section of notes is used to control the mode of the instrument rather than to play a sound, and as those notes are out of the instruments range they would not sound anyway.

As far as MNC is concerned it would be nice if GPO KS “notes” could be handled something like:-

Shown as (say) a different coloured note (and/or shape) on the staff.

Is immune from transposition (for obvious reasons)

Takes NO part whatsoever in the performance and so does not interfere with voices/parts. Cannot have ties or other symbols joined to it.

Can be placed anywhere on the staff – almost as a kind of overlay (for want of a better word).

Can be repositioned just like any other note

Can any of the above already be done in MNC perhaps – or is there a better way?
Thank you.

Sherry Crann (sherry)
12-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi John,

I'll let Mark reply to your suggestions above http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

For the nonce, however, what you can do is to set up two separate tracks for KS instruments, setting both to the same channel, and then have the KS events in one track, and the "music" in the other. If you want to print out a part without the KS events, just don't include that staff in the Part. It will still play for performance (like if you want to record it on your computer), but won't show up in the print out.

ttfn,
Sherry

John Smith (johnsmi)
12-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi Sherry,
Ah yes - very good suggestion - thanks.

I do find though that screen real estate being what it is, that maybe it would be worth considering the "in line" option perhaps - even though I appreciate the KS staff can be hidden when printed. I guess it's because it looks a bit like duplication (two staffs where maybe is nicer to have it all on one staff)?

Meantime I shall certainly try your idea.
Regards,
-John

Mark Walsen (markwa)
12-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Hello John and Sherry,

Do check out the tutorial on using GPO with MidiNotate Composer at www.notation.com/MidiNotateComposerGPOTutorial.htm (http://www.notation.com/MidiNotateComposerGPOTutorial.htm)

There's a section there on GPO keyswitches KS.

More than a year ago I already implemented direct support for keyswitches in a Composer Pro product that has yet to happen due to other priorities. The user interface for the KS feature isn't like as you suggested, John, but it is functionally equivalent.

Cheers
-- Mark