PDA

View Full Version : Notation Musician with Boss GT8 box

khoi nguyen (knguyen)
02-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Hi:

Here is my configuration:

PC<-->USB_to_Midi cable<-->Boss GT-8<-->Electric guitar

The GT-8 box has a midi in/out jack, of where the USB_to_midi cable is connected to.

I have Notation Musician 2.0 installed on my Windows XP PC. I want NM to record my notes I solo play with my guitar. Is this possible? If so, what setup/configuration steps I need to follow? I was able to setup NM2.0 to recognize the GT8 box. But, that's as far as I can go.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter

Sherry Crann (sherry)
02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Hi Peter,

Your configuration sounds right, but Musician doesn't have a recording feature. You'll need to use Composer if you want to record into a file. You can try out the trial version of Composer from www.notation.com/Download.htm (http://www.notation.com/Download.htm) and see if your setup works with that.

ttfn,
Sherry

khoi nguyen (knguyen)
02-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Thanks Sherry for a quick response. I will try it tonight. Do you have any specify instructions, like setup/configuration on NC, on how to accomplish what I wan to do?

Peter

Sherry Crann (sherry)
02-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi Peter,

You can use "Setup/MIDI devices quick setup" to test the input from your setup. You should see the little red "blinky light" when you play into your setup if the signal is getting all the way to Composer. If it doesn't, then you should see the User's Guide section on "Configuring Your sound card and MIDI Equipment/What To Do If Recording Does Not Work" as it will offer more detail about specific items to look at.

I'll be anxious to hear about how this goes for you, and what your observations might be about MIDI pickups for guitar. I also play, and have given serious consideration to purchasing something like this myself. I haven't read much about the Boss unit, but I know that some units (like the Roland) require a "converter box" as well in addition to the pickup unit. It looks like the Boss unit goes directly to MIDI output - that's great! Let us know how it goes http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

ttfn,
Sherry

khoi nguyen (knguyen)
02-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Sherry:
OK, I will surely update how it will go.

Thanks.

Peter

khoi nguyen (knguyen)
02-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Hi Sherry:

I tried the configuration below, but it didn't work. The NC recognized the device, but when I played my guitar, the recording red button didn't light up, indicating it didn't pick up any signal from the GT-8 box.

PC with Notation Composer <-->USB_to_Midi cable<-->Boss GT-8<-->Electric guitar

The GT-8 box has a midi in/out jack, of where the USB_to_midi cable is connected to.

I used Notation Composer 2.0, on my PC.

The configuration below worked, ie, the Notation Composer 2.0 captures the notes I played on my keyboard.

PC with Notation Composer <-->USB cable<-->Keyboard

Any more tips would be appreciated.

Sherry Crann (sherry)
02-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi Peter,

There are a couple of things you can do here.

First:

1. Choose the MIDI Device Configuration command (not the "Quick" one) in the Setup menu.

2. In the MIDI Device Configuration window, choose the Select Ports command in the Port menu.

3. In the Select Port dialog box, make sure there is a checkmark for your GT-8 (I'm not sure what the name would be) in the Input Ports list.

Second:

If that Input Port is already checked, then you might want to try the following experiment. Does your keyboard have MIDI In? If so, you can try using your GT-8 box to "trigger" your keyboard's sounds to see if your GT-8 box is properly set to put out a MIDI signal. If you can trigger the keyboard's sounds with your GT-8 box, then it will tell us that the MIDI signal is not getting to Composer for some reason.

Here's hoping that it's just that the Port setting in Composer was not checked for some reason http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif If the above suggestions don't yield a happy result, do let us know.

ttfn,
Sherry