PDA

View Full Version : Thorn Birds

hervé GILLES (hervich)
05-18-2006, 09:36 PM
The famous Meggie's theme from "Thorn Birds (by the great Henry Mancini). I am a professional french arranger & composer.
Here I have written an easy vesion for 3 instruments and piano : 2 flutes and 1 clarinet. For listening I have not tranposed the clarinet but for playing, you have to transpose the clarinet-part with 2 semitones up (so in Dm).

Hervé

hervé GILLES (hervich)
05-18-2006, 09:42 PM
The file Thorn birds<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gifMeggies's theme
Thorn Birds trio.not (http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/35939/Thorn_Birds_trio-28293.not) (92.6 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Mark Walsen (markwa)
05-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Hello Herve,

This is an elegant arrangement. I'm sure that when it is performed by real musicians it is as charming to hear as it is to see as a score.

Cheers
-- Mark

Sherry Crann (sherry)
05-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Howdy Herve,

Beautiful! Since I doubt I would ever get to hear a trio perform this piece (though I'd love to), I fired up my Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO) and played the file through that. It sounded great! (I did have to make a few minor adjustments to relative volume levels, for the difference of the dynamics of the orchestral library versus general MIDI instruments.)

I really appreciate the care you took with the annotations. Using Composer to play the piece and seeing your annotations while it plays are quite helpful in my on-going quest to learn. I can imagine that with the dynamics that you've indicated, the piece would be very alive in performance.

Wonderful job - I'd love to hear some of your other works!

ttfn,
Sherry

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
05-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Hi Herve,

Nice work. I have heard, I imagine, but don't recall the piece. The harmony, with the frequent use of 7ths, gives the instrumental combination a haunting quality that is quite appealing. Sherry is right about the sound. One of the most glaring weaknesses of MIDI, seems to me to be the winds. I played it with soundfonts of flute and clarinet which have reverb, vibrato and overtones, and the effect is very pleasing.

all best,
mgj