PDA

View Full Version : Drum amp Bugle Corps Performance

Fred Winterling (harbor1)
12-14-2006, 01:45 AM
Hello All,
Sorry, I didn't know where to put this, but since it would be performed in a stadium I guess you could call it a show. It is just over 23 minutes long, so I would recommend it be downloaded first. Playing it through the Notation software would reveal the song titles that are displayed throughout the score. It contains several of my original compositions (re-arranged for drum corps instrumentation) as well as a few others that I have arranged. I hope you like it! If the dialog box appears stating that "the tuba is a single note instrument and should not have chords", uncheck the box. Some tuba parts do contain more than a single note in places. As a side note to MG...'since you once recommended "Alabama Heart And Soul" as one of the songs, I included it just for you'. Thank you again, MG, for your encouragement!
Merry Christmas to everyone!
Fred
<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/mime_midi.gifDrum and Bugle Corps Championship Competition
Champions Perform_A Drum and Bugle Championship Competition.mid (http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/35939/Champions_Perform_A_Drum_and_Bugle_Championship_Co mpetition-33011.mid) (386.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
12-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Hi Fred,

Amazing what you can get from some metal tubes and assorted things that can be beat on. This is really enjoyable. Haloween, Cherokee and Beetle Juice I hadn't heard before. I like the sound of all three, especially the other-worldly scherzo like quality of Beetle Juice.

On the second listening, it occured to me, for some reason, to wonder what the effect of bridging the silences between sections with sound might be. The playback happened to be at measure 390 at the time. So I tried copy/pasting all of percussion 1, measure 387 to percussion 2, measure 388; then I pasted the first two beats to measure 389. Then I undid/re-did a few times. I think I liked the effect of the sound better.

Again between Beetle Juice and Alabama Heart and Soul, I tried a couple of things, but although I think I like silence filled better, I didn't find any sounds that sounded right.

The silence before the finale might be needed, but I find myself wondering what the effect of sliding that F chord into something very dissonant and long held, with a gradual decrescendo might be.

This I-wonder sort of thing happens when I'm listening to anything for more than the first time, including my own stuff. Sometimes it gives me an idea and sometimes leads me to waste time. Usually, though, I'm listening to someone I could get only get in touch with through a Medium. ;)

Anyhow, I enjoyed it. I'm glad Alabama got in there.

Merry Christmas,
mgj

12-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi MG,

Glad you liked it! Thank you for the suggestions and for playing around with it.
>>quote: The playback happened to be at measure 390 at the time. So I tried copy/pasting all of percussion 1, measure 387 to percussion 2, measure 388; then I pasted the first two beats to measure 389.

I like that. I made the change you suggested and kept it in.

>>quote: Again between Beetle Juice and Alabama Heart and Soul, I tried a couple of things, but although I think I like silence filled better, I didn't find any sounds that sounded right.

I need to work on the silence in that section. The instrument sound change at meas.#567 Percussion2 is for the agogo. That is the "washboard" in the original composition. It doesn't come in until later, but I was thinking of filling those 2 measures with the washboard as an introduction to Alabama. By the way, Alabama was just put in last night because I remembered you liked it, so I slipped it in for you.

>>quote: The silence before the finale might be needed, but I find myself wondering what the effect of sliding that F chord into something very dissonant and long held, with a gradual decrescendo might be.

Yes, I wanted to give America some degree of "seriousness". The tempo goes from 112 bpm to 69 bpm, but I made the tempo change 6 beats too early and that caused too much silence. I decided to leave it that way because I was thinking of writing a single snare drum part to put in there ( sort of like 2 quarter notes and a 2 beat drum roll and repeating that once more ). It kind of reminded me of a military funeral march, with the cason type procession. I need to put some more thought into that. I want to make a mood change there.

I think I got a little carried away and made it too long. My wife's comment was "23 minutes? Since it is a 'competition', why not make it 2 separate performances between 2 competing bands...then we could pick the winner". I love her! She is my harshest critic!http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

Thanks again for your help and guidance!!
Fred

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
12-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi Fred,

quote:
The instrument sound change at meas.#567 Percussion2 is for the agogo. That is the "washboard" in the original composition. It doesn't come in until later, but I was thinking of filling those 2 measures with the washboard as an introduction to Alabama

Seems perfect. Also, thanks for including Alabama. But apart from my liking of it, it provides a good contrast and preamble to the finale.

quote:
I was thinking of writing a single snare drum part to put in there ( sort of like 2 quarter notes and a 2 beat drum roll and repeating that once more ). . . I want to make a mood change there.

This sounds good, too. You might, if you try it and like it, try three or even 4 reps. "Mood change" from the good feelings of Alabama is needed. Maybe the bridge between these two sections is more important than I thought.

Speaking of mood changes, I think I've got Spring Fever...sure would love to take a rocking chair out and sit in the sun.

all best,
mgj

12-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi MG,
I did add the drum part before the finale. I used 4 measures (reps) and it does the job, I think. It is just a single snare, quiet. Each measure is 1/8th rest, (2)sixteenth notes and (1) eighth note then 1/8 rest, another 1/8th note, another 1/8 rest, then (16) 64th notes (drum roll) and repeated it 4 times. I think it pretty much prepares for the seriousness of the trumpet/echo intro.
I got Spring Fever today, too. It got up to 70 degrees. I couldn't play golf so I through my German Shepherd his frisbee instead. He is a super star catching that thing.http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

Cheers,
Fred