PDA

View Full Version : Track Setup when using an External MIDI device

David Teall (medman)
07-08-2005, 09:08 AM
I have recently splashed out and bought the very expensive Yamaha lead to connect my keyboard to my computer. Everything appears to be working correctly but I am confused by the apparently different behaviour of .mid and .not files.

I have set my keyboard as the default MIDI playback device using Quick MIDI Device Setup. If I now open a .mid file it plays back automatically through my keyboard. Furthermore, when I look in Track Setup it shows my keyboard in the Device column for every track. However, when I open a .not file it still plays through my computer speakers. The only way I can make it play through my keyboard is to manually change the device for each track in Track Setup. I have learnt how to change all tracks in one operation by clicking on the Device heading button, but I don't really understand why it doesn't make the change automatically like it does with a .mid file.

Two questions then: Have I understood the behaviour correctly and, if so, what is the rationale behind it?

David Jacklin (dj)
07-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi, David:

Not to speak for Mark, but I think the rationale is that .mid files, not being created in Composer, use the default MIDI device for the system, but .not files, which have been worked on in Composer at some time, retain the specific MIDI device output that was set when the file was created.

You can change that by setting new devices for each channel, or for all under Setup/Quick Midi Device Setup (keyboard shortcut: qdds) and resaving the file.

Cheers

'Nother David

Mark Walsen (markwa)
07-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Hello DavidT,

DavidJ's explanation is correct. To elaborate, the .not files that play through your speakers rather than you keyboard were probably last saved by you, or someone else, who had assigned the tracks to the soundcard device.

Try this: Open such a .not file. Reassign the tracks to your MIDI keyboard device, which you already know how to do. Save the .not file. Then reopen the .not file. You will then find that it will remember the assignment of the tracks to your MIDI keyboard device.

Cheers
-- Mark

Zafarul Ahsan
12-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi, My name is Zafar. I am an amateur composer of music. I have an old Casio keyboard MT-640. I cannot find a MIDI cable in our market in Lahore to connect it to my PC. Could you please help me in making a MIDI cable for my keyboard?

Sherry Crann (sherry)
12-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Howdy Zafarul,

Unfortunately we don't make MIDI cables, just software that can be used with your keyboard after it's hooked up. If you're able to order items via the Internet, there are a number of on-line stores such as Music123 or Musician's Friend that have such cables readily available.

Good luck!

ttfn,
Sherry

David Jacklin (dj)
12-29-2006, 12:41 PM
HI, Zafarul:

If you can use a soldering iron, a midi cable is no trouble.

You need two 5-pin DIN plugs and a length of two-wire, twisted-pair cable - make it as long as you need up to 50 feet.

I'm not at my own computer at the moment, but as I recall, the pin-out, looking at the 5-pin DIN with its "plug-in" end toward you is: 1: no connection; 2: midi out; 3: no connection (sometimes ground); 4: midi in; 5: no connection.

In other words, just solder the two-wire cable to the 2nd and 4th pins on the DIN plugs. Don't cross them: pin 2 at one end goes to the same pin at the other.

As I say, I'm not at my own computer at the moment, so I'm not quite certain on the pin-out above, but troll around on the web a bit (Google will find it for you) and you'll find lots more information. My own system, which connects quite a few synths and samplers, has about 50% commercial and 50% home-made cables.

Good luck

David

David Jacklin (dj)
12-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Hi, again, Zafarul:

This site will give you complete and correct info on building a midi cable. Note that, if you don't already have a midi interface for your computer, it also gives you a link to that. The midi interface is different from the midi cable.

http://colomar.com/Shavano/midi_cable.html

Although I have built a midi interface for the old-style gameport, it's not an easy project, although it only involves 1 integrated circuit and a few other pieces. You can buy a simple one for about $15 here in Canada. Or a USB port which can go anywhere from $35 to $120, depending on what you want. Again that's in Canada. I'd have no idea of prices or availability in India.

Good luck

David