PDA

View Full Version : Call of the 12th Dimension

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
04-20-2007, 03:04 AM
Call/12th Dimension is a temporary title. My wife listened to about a week and a half ago, a few days before she died, and she liked it. I would like to call it "Song for Sara," but first I need to find out whose tune I have used as a basis for the variations that follow.

The melody is stated by the violin at the beginning. I know I have heard it, but I haven't been able to place where. If anybody can help, I would deeply appreciate completing this musical memorial, by completing the title.

I did this as an improvisation, writing the piece a measure at a time and changing virtually nothing. I would start with the piano, move to the current solo instrument, then the bass, and then the other instruments, as necessary. The drums are basically fill-in at the moment, and will be worked on.

For the moment my main interest is finding out what the title will be. I can pretty much rule out a piano concerto as the source, but it may be anything else--jazz, musical, opera, classical. I hope someone can either identify it or, if it sounds familiar, give me a direction in which to look further.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gif12th Dimension
Call of the 12th Dimension rough.mid (http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/35939/Call_of_the_12th_Dimension_rough-34290.mid) (99.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Fred Winterling (harbor1)
04-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi MG,

How much of the melody stated by the violin in the beginning ( and repeated by the clarinet,saxes and trombone at meas# 23 and the alto sax at meas#70, etc.) sounds familiar to you? The entire theme or just the first 3 measures or so?

I have a reason for asking that, but don't want to say why just yet because it will probably sound a little dumb.

P.S.
Sara liked this song. So that's what it should be...a "Song For Sara".
God bless,
Fred

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
04-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi Fred,

Actually it's the first 23 measures that sound familiar, but particularly 1-7.

I have to tell you that I wrote about a minute and 20 seconds as the introduction to a piece for piano and orchestra about 3 years ago, and it did not sound familiar until I'd played it back several times. Then it seemed that I had not only heard it, but heard it with the exact instrumentation. Since then, I've listened to every piano concerto I ever heard, but couldn't find anything even close.

Still, I'm sure I've heard the tune, which is simple enough in structure that it seems almost impossible that it's new with me.

quote:
Sara liked this song. So that's what it should be...a "Song For Sara".

Yes, it should be and shall be...when I can complete the title to "Song for Sara
Variations of XXX by XYZ"

She wouldn't forgive me my plagiarism. And always having found a way to accomplish anything she set out to do, I believe she would find a way to let me know she knew--in no uncertain terms.

As far as the alto sax variation starting at measure 70. Nope. That doesn't sound familiar to me, except as a take off on the theme starting at measure 1.

all best,
mgj

Fred Winterling (harbor1)
04-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi MG,

Quote: As far as the alto sax variation starting at measure 70. Nope. That doesn't sound familiar to me, except as a take off on the theme starting at measure 1.

I actually took the notes from the theme at measure 1 and placed them below the same notes in the Alto sax part ( entered them in the tenor sax staff below ). They fit perfectly.

I don't believe "plagiarism" is plagiarism unless it is intended. There may not be a single song written that does not contain "plagiarism" in some form, no matter how small, in some part of some song somewhere at some time.

I think I mentioned before, my piano teacher would select 4 notes at random ( sometimes 5 just to make it more difficult for me ) as a motif for writing a new song. The only requirement was that those 4 notes had to be used in the same succession and be the beginning 4 notes and repeated as a theme. Everything after the 4 notes was fair game. The genre and the tempo were up to me.
When I wrote " I'll Run Back Home To You ", the motif and the consistant theme came from the first 5 notes of a 300 year old Beethoven aria that was discovered last year in Germany. The manuscript was very difficult to read, but a magazine photographer took a snapshot of the manuscript over someone's shoulder. They were the only 5 notes that were made public. I took those 5 notes and used them as the motif for the song. I refuse to believe I am guilty of plagiarism, even though I intended to use those 5 notes.

Based on that, it may give you some idea why my mind thinks in terms of short motifs. The first 5 notes of your song ( three measures ) remind me of Yale University's song, "Boola, boola". That may not be, and most probably is not, the theme that sounds familiar to you. If the theme is actually from a different song written 20 years before "Boola, Boola", is Yale University guilty of plagiarism?....Nah!, and neither is MG.

Cheers,
Fred

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
04-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi Fred,

Hey, know what? One source that occurred to me frequently was that it might be a college song. I'll take a look at (listen to) "boola boola."
Many thanks.

all best,
mgj