PDA

View Full Version : TwelveTone Music a few pointers

Peter Kalve
01-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi

Mark asked in one of his posts if I could explain the style of music in which I tend to write, for those who may not be too familiar with the method.

Twelve Tone Music - sounds weird doesn't it? Actually, we've had pieces using twelve-tone technique since Bach wrote Fugue 24 from Book I of "The Well-Tempered Clavier". Bach used a fugue subject that played all twelve (go on...count 'em) notes within the chromatic scale of an octave, without repeating any note in that chromatic scale before each note of the chromatic scale was played first of all. In other words, he went through every note of the chromatic scale - though note in ascending or descending order (he ordered the seauence of notes to fit his fugal "shape"). This idea was slowly developed through the succeeding centuries. If you listen to a piece music by Bach, Mozart, then Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, then Wagner, Bruckner and Mahler, in that order you will get an idea of how music developed and changed over that time, up to the start of the twentieth century. And it does change! Listen to the opening of "Tristan" by Wagner - and tell me - what exactly is the key of the opening 4 bars! Try the same with the opening of the last movement of Bruckner's 9th Symphony and tell me that the incredible melodic line of the cellos and violins is expected! Already "tonality" (i.e. that piece of music which begins obviously in Cmaj, goes, say, to Fmaj, maybe passes through to Gmaj before returning to Cmaj), is stretched to the point that you cannot go back to the "old" style of writing music, without saying something that has already been said before!

And it is at this point that we come to Schoenberg and the "Seconf Viennese School". These were composers, who, in various ways really began to write pieces in which there was no "key", but instead, where each not had equal value. Rules had to be developed to give this kind of writing structure: order your notes into a tone row - often 12 notes, which make up notes you would find in a chromatic scale, but placed in a sequence so that no obvious key is present; don't use octaves; avoid tonal cadences in the melodic line; ruun your tone row forwards, backwards upside down and upside down-backwards (Honest! We call this Prime, Retrograde, Inversion and Retrograde-Inversion...and it works!!).

I write most of my music using this technique, although I do tend to write with tonal implications in the tone rows. I also use canons, "mirror" pieces, and other similar compositional techniques, to provide a very careful structure to my music. But I do also write tonal stuff too! Check out my various posts on the forum, and you'll get lots of tonal and 12 tone samples of my music.

Hope that helps.

Dr Peter Kalve

Mark Walsen (markwa)
01-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi Peter,

I must confess that I find the harmony of stictly written 12-tone row, ala Schoenberg, to be cold and unemotional. In many pieces, that feeling might be the intent. That said, I also believe that 12-tone composition technique is a great way to force the composer to exercise variety in other dimensions of the music: rhythm, accents, texture, orchestration, etc. By removing one freedom in the writing-- to use traditional harmony-- the composer must exercise even more care in the other dimensions of the music (rhythms, accents, etc.) if he wishes to create music that is interesting, minimally to himself if not to others.

I would write in 12-tone row only if a composition instructor required me to do so. However, I have voluntarily done some other similar writing. I wrote a suite of piano pieces, where each piece is based on a _vertical_ interval, such as a 4th. The RH and LH almost always must play a 4th. Anything else in the piece is fair game; but the rule is, the two hands have to play vertical 4ths. I found that this _constraint_ actually seemed to free me up, or loosen me up, to experiment a little bit more adventurously with other dimensions of the music. In the case of the 4ths piece, I focused a lot on the larger shape of the piece, particularly volume (dynamic) levels. In that piece, I also completely removed the dimension of rhythm by using a steady beat pattern of alternating chords in the RH and LH. This was at great risk of producing a very boring piece. Other things had to happen to make it interesting (to me, at least).

If I were to teach composition, I'd probably make it an assignment for my students to right a series of pieces, as I did, using vertical intervals: 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths, 7ths. (I mixed minor and major 2nds, 3rds, 6ths, and 7ths). And, to be fair to our musical heritage, yes, I would also assign 12-tone row composition writing exerices :-)

Listening to your recent submission of 12-tone pieces, it's obvious to me that you know your stuff really well about 12-tone writing. I look forward to hearing more, and also learning about how you think about composing.

Cheers
-- Mark

David Jacklin (dj)
01-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Very early in my "career" as a theatre composer, I wanted a piece that was very unsettling to reflect a character's mental state, so I thought that I would try 12-tone technique for it. Admittedly, it was not true atonal music, but it did have much of the feel. I liked the result and though it was very emotional.

The singer, the orchestra, the conductor and the arranger all simply sat with their mouths hanging open.

Apparently, you can't do that in musical theatre.

I wrote another piece for it.

To heck with art: this is show biz!

Peter Kalve
01-07-2006, 11:08 AM
I did once write a fairly dissonant 12-tone communion antiphon for the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Northampton, here in the UK. The response was, apparently, polite but puzzled. One wag even went so far as to to wonder why "Arabic" music was being allowed to be performed in a Cathedral!!! The mind boggles!