PDA

View Full Version : The Chorale theme from Symphony No 3 Fort Sumter to Perryville

Dr Peter Kalve
11-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Hello all

I'm currently writing my third symphony, and, breaking all my usual habits, it is going to be a largely tonal piece of one movement. I have completed the first of what I think will be six main sections, and during these last few days I have been sketching out the gentle chorale theme that will make up parts of the the second and fifth sections.

This is a simple piano reduction of the main theme of the chorale - I shouldn't say it, but I find it really rather beautiful. How vain I am!

A word on the title of the Symphony - "Fort Sumter to Perryville". Those of you with a good sense of American Civil War and literary history will recognise the title instantly as coming from the fantastic first volume of Shelby Foote's trilogy on the American Civil War - a work of art in itself, and one of the most satisfying three books you are ever likely to pick up. My hope is that Symphony's 3 4 and 5 will have a title from each of the volumes. This also explains the moving autumnal "wide-open-spaces" feel to the chorale theme. More puzzling for those who know a bit about me is why a Brit writing in a village in the UK should want to write a symphony cycle on the American Civil War. Frankly even I can't answer that one! Now...think autumnal golds and reds of the leaves falling gently in the Shenandoah Valley in the latter months of 1862 or 1863. You stand watching the sun as it sits lower in the sky this early November afternoon....and let the music speak of past times....

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gifThe chorale theme from Symphony No. 3 "Fort Sumter to Perryville"
Chorale from Symphony No. 3.not (http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/35939/Chorale_from_Symphony_No__3-29696.not) (25.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Mark Walsen (markwa)
11-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Hello Peter,

This definitely has a "wide open" American feel-- as American as Copland. It sets the stage.

Cheers
-- Mark

David Jacklin (dj)
11-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Hi, Peter:

Is this the calm before the storm?

David

Dr Peter Kalve
11-06-2006, 06:41 AM
Most definitely the calm both after the initial flurries and before the subsequent storms...but this Symphony will end softly, even with the events of Perryville......

One quick correction - I have just noticed my appalling use of an apostrophe in my post "My hope is that Symphony's 3 4 and 5 will have a title from each of the volumes" of course should read "My hope is that Symphonies 3 4 and 5 will have a title from each of the volumes." How did that apostophe get in there?

Sherry Crann (sherry)
11-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Howdy Peter,

This piece sounds to me like a visit to a battlefield memorial - open, solemn, yet hinting at the action which has passed. I'm going to try it with GPO violins, just because I think it would be an interesting rendition. I'm also looking forward to hearing the fleshing out of the other pieces in the work.

As for the renegade apostrophe, it is most likely some spawn of the sprites of the bad American usage of the apostrophe in said fashion, which is so frightfully ubiquitous here.

ttfn,
Sherry

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
11-11-2006, 07:37 AM
Dr. Kalve,

Yes, quite lovely. But the piano doesn't do it justice, even with lots of pedal. I tried using the choir ahhs and following the dynamic instructions, and the atmospherics seem enhanced quite a bit, though whether the emotional content is reflective, sorrowful, hopeful, etc., will depend to some extent on musical context, and perhaps the words, if any are intended.

That war and its era produced or inspired a lot of research and excellent writing, from Sandburg's biography of Lincoln to Bruce Caton's trilogy; "The Red Badge of Courage" to "Gone with the Wind," and of course Foote's volumes.

It also produced a lot of music, which I've enjoyed for years. Some of it is heard frequently, but most of it is not heard much any more, if at all, and I haven't seen reference to a new recording of any for quite some years. I have wondered why no one has done a full symphonic work using songs of the era, and particularly the war, as thematic stuff. I don't know the answer to that, but I've tinkered with the idea, and would avoid the familiar, like "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and "Dixie," in favor of songs such as "Poor Kitty Popcorn," "We Are Coming Father Abraham," and "Tenting on the Old Campground."

...Which is off the subject. I enjoyed the theme and would look forward to hearing it in context.

all best,
mgj