PDA

View Full Version : Violin Concerto URL

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
07-16-2007, 07:46 AM
Hi,

I have put the Violin Concerto up on Soundclick. The URL is www.soundclick.com/mgjacobs (http://www.soundclick.com/mgjacobs) .

This is very much both in progress and finished. I am not quite sure how that would be parsed in rational discourse, but I'm not worrying too much about it, for now. Actually, it is structurally as it will be, whatever changes I might make, and I'm not sure there will be many, if any. The first movement is in sonata form, the second, roughly, ABAB, and the third a rondo. Any changes will probably be the replacement of themes. The one thing that was easy about getting this concerto down was that themes suggested themselves profusely. There are some (such as the C, or slow, theme in the 3rd movement) that sounded awfully familiar from the start. Near the end of the movement, the theme is repeated by the violin; following this a variation is heard by the full orchestra. This variation may become the C theme. There are a couple of other themes that may, also, be replaced in the first movement.

Since I do not play the violin (other than "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star,} years and years ago, writing for the instrument has been and is a real challenge. There are passages where I had to have my finger in a book that details what the violin can and can't play, and I had, also, to look at the scores for other violin music (Paganini was very helpful, and thank the powers that Notation makes it pretty easy to find examples).

I still enjoy listening to the piece, so I'm going to just do that for a while as I try to revive my first piano concerto from a folder of things destined to finally go to the recycle bin. So it is, indeed, finished in that sense, though it may some day not be finished.

Djim Tio (djimtio)
07-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Hi MG
Itīs a beautifull violin concerto and,like you,I enjoy listening to the piece after a "hard" day of work on the Beta V3 pre-release.I started
playing violin when 8 years old ( "forced" by my parents of course)
and even made it playing in a baroque chamber music ensemble ( Vivaldi,Corelli etc)before I took up playing bass guitar .So,Paganiniīs influences are quite recognizable in this violin concerto.I still could enjoy listening to the "devils" violin concerto no 1 played on a real Stradivarius (Arthur Grumiaux for instance)
I particularly like your jazzy approach of some songs you wrote.
Song for Sara is delicate, while jazzy in an emotional way.
May be some trumpet and organ concertos in the future ?
Regards
Djim

Fred Winterling (harbor1)
07-17-2007, 03:49 AM
Hi MG,

It is difficult to pick a favorite from your repetoire, but I think the Violin Concerto would have to be it. It has everything I love about music. The themes are beautiful and the harmonies and your use of instrumentation is genius. I have always been in awe of your ability for balance. You never cease to amaze me. I honestly can't see where you would want to change or replace anything. Way to go, master!

Cheers,

Fred

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
07-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Hi Djim,

Thanks.
Hmmm. You violin playing ability far exceeds mine. In fact, I never played, really. I tried my father in law's violin quite a few years back. He was a country fiddler, and quite good. I was more interested in seeing if I could hold it and get a sound. After I learned which string was which, I managed to saw out something that sounded like "Twinkle, twinkle Little Star." Which ended my violin career...until I was brash enough to try to write for it.

I think I won't try an organ concerto, but a trumpet concerto is done. I'm waiting until I won't have to double up instruments--trombone and tuba, for example, to post it anywhere.

all best,
mgj

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
07-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi Fred,

Thanks. From one whose music I admire so much, it means a lot. Maybe I won't make wholesale changes. I enjoy it pretty much as it is. There are some sounds I would like for the violin to make, that it doesn't as now written, but I need to do some checking on whether the sounds can be made. I've tried to imagine where my fingers would have to be placed and how fast they would have to change place, and my old joints ache just from picturing it. Which doesn't mean it can't be done. So far, I've found an example of every chord in the piece which uses the A and E strings in an established concerto, and hopefully I'll find examples of some of the additions I'd like to make--which would result in some additional fireworks, not real changes or additions of passages.

Working on the piece confirmed what I've long suspected: that the violin has to be the hardest of all instruments to master.

all best,
mgj

Djim Tio (djimtio)
07-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Hi MG
Even after so many years of violin training I never could have achieved
what you had done with this beautifull peace.Thinking of Paganini makes my old fingers ache.Donīt worry MG,itīs in the mind and not in the fingers (old chinese saying,I guess).
I canīt wait hearing your trumpet concerto.
BTW,I am searching for a nice Trumpet SF to complement a Merlin Grand soundfont bank.Any suggestion ?
Keep the good music coming
Regards
Djim

Djim Tio (djimtio)
07-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi MG
Are you referring to the Trumpet Concerto mentioned in an earlier thread
(july 2006) of Share your music ?I saved the latest Mid.file and listened to it with great pleasure ( Merlin Grand with Trumpet 3 and Eathans Bassoon in SB Live).Is there a better way to appreciate this masterwork ( except for GPO of course) ?
Regards
Djim

M G Jacobs (mgj32)
07-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Hi Djim,

I'd forgot I put the TC up. It's not really done as far as how it sounds electronically. Glad you enjoyed it.

I think the Merlin Trumpet is the best I've found for solo work. I made a recording of the TC using that one, and it sounds by far the best. The one problem with that soundfont is the volume, or more exactly, getting the volume adjusted. It is too loud for orchestral playing, so I have used several others for that, but like the one in the Sinfonia collection best. Before discovering Merlin, I liked the trumpet with the Soundsite collection for solo. Also, one I refer to in the Composer setup as the Roland trumpet, but I can't find where it came from, now.

all best,
mgj

Djim Tio (djimtio)
07-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Hi MG
Thanks for your reply and comments on the Merlin trumpet.However,I will wait "patiently" for the complete TC you are still working on ( I hope).Meanwhile, take good care of your health ( sorry,canīt help being a medic )!!
Regards
Djim