PDA

View Full Version : Extracted Drum Scores are confusing

Softwaremaker (softwaremaker)
04-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Dear experts,

Somehow, I am having trouble reading the drum scores extracted from my midi songs. It doesnt follow the conventional drum notation that I was taught: http://www.drumlessons.net/reading-sheet-music/

What am I missing ? Appreciate any advice here.

Sherry Crann (sherry)
04-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Howdy,

The drum scores that you will see currently in Notation products are not the conventional drum notation. These are MIDI "pseudo pitch" renditions, which do allow you to edit the performance of the drums, but unfortunately not the standard notation of them. We are planning to implement standard drum notation in an upcoming version scheduled for later this year.

ttfn,
Sherry

04-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks Sherry for the clarification.

Probably a shameless question: But will this next release version later this year be free ? ;)

Sherry Crann (sherry)
04-25-2008, 01:10 AM
Howdy,

If you have purchased a major version, then all minor point release updates/upgrades are free http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif Eg., 2.0 (and after) purchases get the 2.x updates/upgrades free until 3.0 is released. So buy now! (one good shameless question deserves a shameless plug ;) )

ttfn,
Sherry

Mark Walsen (markwa)
04-25-2008, 01:30 AM
Also, upgrades from 2.x to 3.0 are free for customers who have purchased 2.x within 6 months before the 3.0 release date.

When is the 3.0 release date, and what's going to be in 3.0? We haven't announced that yet.

Cheers
-- Mark

04-25-2008, 05:49 AM
Thanks Sherry for the clarifications but you have gotten me even more confused...

I am currently using Notation Player 2.1.2. Isn't that free ? Or will the standard drum notation NOT come with the next "free" version of the Notation Player ?

Thank you.

Sherry Crann (sherry)
04-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Howdy,

Ah, it's the details that will get me every time ;)

Notation Player is free. Player is intended as a reader of .not files (as well as .mid files) that are created using it's bigger brothers Notation Musician and Notation Composer. It's similar to Adobe Acrobat for reading, but not editing, pdf files. Some of us use it in conjunction with students or friends for whom we prepare files for them to either review or use for practice.

While Player will indeed transcribe .mid files, you can do much more with Musician and Composer. Musician allows you to further arrange and annotate those files for printable or play-along-as-the-notes-highlight sheet music. Composer does that, but goes even further by allowing you to arrange such "found" files for their performance (the actual MIDI data) as well as to create your own from scratch, whether via mouse/qwerty keyboard or by recording into it using a MIDI instrument. Musician and Composer are "pay for" software, and you can check them out using a free 30-day, fully functional trial version from www.notation.com/Download.htm (http://www.notation.com/Download.htm).

ttfn,
Sherry

04-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Dear Sherry,

Thanks for the explanation. At the current moment, I am using an appliance-based MIDI sequencer to generate MIDI files and using the Notation Player to transcribe the score and generate the sheet music.

Therefore, the question I have is will the next release of the "free" version of the Notation Player be able to transcribe and generate the conventional drum notation scores ?

In other words, when you say "We are planning to implement standard drum notation in an upcoming version scheduled for later this year.", will this apply to the free Notation Player ?

That all said, I will look at and try out the Notation Musician later.

Mark Walsen (markwa)
04-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Hello,

The next major version 3.0 of Notation Player, like the current Notation Player, will not include special "part preparation" features such as for Fake Book Lead Sheets, Chord Charts, and the upcoming 5-line drum notation feature.

Notation Player serves two purposes. First, as Sherry says, it is intended as a reader of Notation .not files created by Notation Composer and Notation Musician, so that other musicians can play, see and print without cost the music created by customers of Notation products.

Second, the Notation Player is intended to whet your appetite for purchasing Notation Composer or Notation Musician, so that we can earn revenue to fund the development of these products. Bon appetit!

Cheers
-- Mark

blondini
05-31-2011, 06:36 PM
I have just bought Notation Musician ver. 2.6.3 in which I am missing conventional drum notation mentioned in first post of this thread. In which future release do you plan to implement this feature or am I missing something?

Regards, Robert

Sherry C
05-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi Robert,

The drum notation feature is scheduled for version 3, but our time frame has been altered to a great degree by the unexpected death of Mark Walsen (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?p=15377#post15377), our president and chief developer. We are currently in a state of transition. I'm sorry that I can't give you a time frame for the implementation of the regular drum staff notation feature.

Best Regards,
Sherry