PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering if music notes are important

andrewjames2
11-09-2012, 09:28 AM
I was wondering if music notes are important in case of practicing music with friends.
Is this true so?

dj
11-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Hi, Andrew:

That all depends on what you want accomplish.

If you all know the piece already, then you probably don't need it notated -- my son's rock band plays incredibly complicated progressive rock pieces with multiple time changes and complex arrangements without notation -- but they can all read music and understand what the notation implies.

If you're putting together original music, probably not, as long as you all have good memories. Any style of music is best when it comes about (or sounds like it comes about) spontaneously -- "out of the air."

What do you need notation for? Archiving your music, passing it along others, having others sit down and play it at a glance.

I've just used Notation Composer to re-orchestrate a 400 page score for a new production of an old musical of mine, re-working the music to fit the available instruments. With the exception of a couple of clunkers which I am going to talk to the trumpeter about, at last night's opening of the show, they went through the score beautifully.

Having accomplished that, I know that score can be passed along and played ** others at any time.

That's what notation is for.

Good luck.

David

dj
11-09-2012, 12:30 PM
>Having accomplished that, I know that score can be passed along and
> played ** others at any time.

I have tried twice to replace ** in the above sentence with the word "**", but it keeps coming back.

That is weird.

David

EDIT: And it's doing it again! The letters are "b" and "y". I don't know why this forum insists on censoring that word.

Sherry C
11-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Hi David,

I'm not sure why the "by" is being censored either - it's certainly not on the list.

I don't see it happening on other pages in the forum. This page must be "special" :)

I'll try to figure it out - sorry for the bother.

ttfn,
Sherry

Sherry C
11-09-2012, 09:39 PM
and now that's said, it's not censoring my "by" either.
Strange indeed.

You should be able to edit your post and have it show up correctly. Unless "by" means something I should know about in Canadian ;)

ttfn,
Sherry