PDA

View Full Version : One drum sound softer than the other

Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen (manfred_v_r)
08-07-2007, 04:24 AM
200708070314:20:01

Hello Folks,

Yes, I’m still using Midinotate Composer 1.17, but getting good use from it.

At present, I would like to know whether it’s possible with this version to assign a bank other than 10 for the drum instrument. Even using ‘Orchestral Hit’ with a bank other than 10 doesn’t work – as percussion sound. There is an arrangement I’ve done, I want the bass drum sound (B natural, below the bass stave) to be considerably quieter than the rest of the percussion. I’ve tried assigning a different stave for it, and having the volume specifically tailored to what I want, but that doesn’t work.

200708070314:23:33

David Jacklin (dj)
08-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi, Manfred:

Midi Channel 10 is the General Midi standard for drum tracks. Depending on what sound source you have, it may be possible to use a different channel, but you would have to be able to assign the drum sounds to that channel on your sound source. For instance, on my Casio CTK 651, the drum kits are Program numbers 160-167, or Bank 3, Programs 1-8. These can be selected in Composer.

As simpler way to make the B natural bass drum quieter than the rest, is to use Shift-V to show the velocity values for each note, select the B-naturals in your track and use L-down arrow to lower the velocities of the B-naturals. That should do the trick.

Good Luck

David